>Home>Products>DataDirect XQuery>Why DataDirect XQuery?
Why Choose DataDirect XQuery®?
XQuery is now a widely-implemented language, with implementations for most relational databases, XML repositories, and XML IDEs.
There are also in-memory implementations, implementations based on full-text systems, and application servers. When choosing
an XQuery implementation, be aware that there are huge differences in the data sources that can be queried, the environments
in which the XQuery engine runs, the quality and completeness of the XQuery implementation, performance, and the level of support
you can expect from the company that stands behind it.
Using DataDirect XQuery® means that your applications can run on any Java platform, accessing data from the major relational databases,
using any Web server or application server, or using no server at all. Here are some other differences between DataDirect XQuery® and other XQuery implementations.
- Support for multiple relational databases— Unlike XQuery implementations from relational vendors, DataDirect XQuery® works with any major relational database.
- Small footprint— DataDirect XQuery® does not require that a server be installed. DataDirect XQuery® works with any web server or J2EE application server, but does not require a server and has no server of its own.
- Embeddable in any Java application— DataDirect XQuery® is designed to be embedded into any Java application, and has no dependency on XML IDEs.
- XML IDE support— You can use Stylus Studio or the Editor for Eclipse to visualize data sources and design and debug the queries for your application.
- Server-side processing— Rather than using memory-intensive client side XQuery processing, DataDirect XQuery® can generate efficient SQL to query relational data along with other kinds of data, and it executes this SQL on the server side.
- Performance and scalability— DataDirect XQuery® can query very large XML files because of its support for Document Projection and Document Streaming.
- Robust XQuery implementation— DataDirect XQuery®'s implementation of XQuery is complete, current, and compatible with the W3C standard.