>Home>Purchase DataDirect Products>Help Me Choose
How to Determine Whether You Need a Server or a Workstation Licensed Driver
In order to provide the greatest flexibility for our customers, we offer two different licensing options; Server and Workstation. What’s the difference? Find out here.
A workstation license should be chosen if the DataDirect product you are purchasing will be used on a workstation computer. A workstation is defined to be a computer that is operated, either attended or via remote access, by no more than one person at a time. If more than one person can simultaneously use the computer where you plan to install the DataDirect product, you must purchase a Server License.
A workstation license must be purchased for each workstation where a DataDirect product will be installed.
- Workstation licenses are available in 5-user packages for your convenience. This allows the DataDirect product that you purchase to be installed on up to 5 unique workstations at any given time.
- If the DataDirect product is installed on more than 5 workstations, you will need to purchase another 5-user workstation license. (For example, if the application is installed on 9 workstations, you will need two 5-user workstation licenses.)
A server license is required if the DataDirect product you purchase will be used on any computer where more than one person can simultaneously use the computer either by direct or remote access. This definition includes, but is not limited to, web servers, application servers, and batch servers.
- Server licenses are sold per the number of concurrent connections required, AND..
- Sold according to the maximum number of processors (CPUs or cores) that are utilized by the server computer regardless of how the processors are used.
- You need a license for the maximum number of concurrent connections required and the maximum number of processors that the server computer has. (If, for example, there are two CPUs on the application server, you need a two processor server license, even if the application will only use one CPU.)